Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

When you gamble with safety, you bet your life.

No one understands the importance of road sense and how to use that in making a good judgement to avoid trouble on the roads, for themselves as well as for others. This Saturday I was riding back home with my friend in my cute little Scooty Pep (Perky Pink :)). It was quiet a tough traffic and the pointers in all our speedometers were busy working between 40 and 60. Suddenly a bunch of people from no where jumped into the middle of the road, waving their hands and walking happily to cross the road. The guy behind the wheel in a Santro who was in front of me had no other option than applying the brakes. Same thing happened to all the vehicles on the front line. I was less than 5 feet behind him and imagine my position. That fraction of a second I was completely lost with no clue of what can be done. With a squealing noise I tried to stop my bike by braking and I halted. With tension mounting my temples, I turned around to check if my friend was alright and no one had hit us from behind, when I suddenly felt her hands embracing me and her words floating into my ears "mach are u alright? relax its okay...". Phewwwww.... The first time ever in all these 5 years of riding experience, I have felt panicky on roads!!!

These days pedestrians and cyclists have become increasingly problematic for riders and drivers. If they wave their hands, they expect us to come to a stop and let them way immediately. When the red signal for pedestrians is still glowing, they don't give a damn to that and just keep crossing the roads. And in case a biker hits them, then it is his fault and he is put inside the circle of blame. To top it all, these pedestrians fancy talking over the phone while crossing roads, thereby distracting themselves as well as others. When are we all gonna realize that unsafe acts will keep us in stitches!!!




"Better a thousand times careful than once dead"

0 comments:

Post a Comment